AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Wilmot B. Valhmu" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 10:08:26 -0700

Join African Association of Madison, Inc. for $25 per year

Mail check to; AAM, PO Box 1016, Madison, WI 53701,
www.AfricanAssociation.org

"...[T]hose who set up the War Crimes Tribunal on
[the] Yugoslavia conflict ... had a great interest in
the break-up of Yugoslavia, and played a big role in
the process. They knew the break-up would lead to war;
but they actively encouraged that historical course,
using the UN to legitimise its strategy of global
hegemony."

What a charge!!!  Presentation of some evidence, along
with reasoned discussion of such, to support this
belief would have been nice -- and very helpful, but
the author gave next to none.  While the West has its
faults and have played significant roles in conflicts
around the world, I don't believe it is guilty by
default.  So, give some evidence.  Please!!!

- Wilmot

--- Sam Jimba <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Join African Association of Madison, Inc. for $25
> per year
>
> Mail check to; AAM, PO Box 1016, Madison, WI 53701,
> www.AfricanAssociation.org

> Imperialism's Prisoners of War
> By Edwin Madunagu, The Guardian (Nigeria), April 6,
> 2006
> ON Saturday, March 11, 2006, Slobodan Milosevic,
> former President of the Federal Republic of
> Yugoslavia, was reportedly found dead in his cell in
> the United Nations Prison at The Hague, Netherland.
> He had been arrested in Belgrade, capital of
> Yugoslavia and Serbia, by the Serbian government in
> 2001 and then sent to the UN War Crimes Tribunal. It
> is important to remember that Milosevic was arrested
> under pressure from the rulers of America and the
> European Union who had threatened to cut off aid to
> Serbia if Milosevic was not delivered to the
> tribunal.
> In the Milosevic case, and in several similar cases,
> before and after it, the United Nations was used as
> cover and undertaker. Afterall, what in reality,
> since the disintegration of the Soviet Union, has
> the United Nations been? What actual role has that
> organisation been playing as maintainer of "world
> peace" and "security"? More directly, who controls
> the United Nations? I answer: the rulers of America
> and the European Union. Russia and China, which, in
> addition to America, Britain and France, are the
> permanent members of the Security Council of the
> United Nations, are only interested in protecting
> themselves (and justifiably so) against the global
> hegemonist drive of the rulers of America, assisted
> by those of the European Union. It was the rulers of
> America and the European Union that decided the
> outcome of the war of Yugoslavia's disintegration.
> Now, a caveat. And this caveat is my lead
> proposition here. Slobodan Milosevic, as President
> of Serbia and then of Yugoslavia, was a "War
> Criminal" in the true sense of the term. But I
> insist that those who set up the War Crimes Tribunal
> on Yugoslavia conflict are themselves "war
> criminals" in a more profound sense, and on a larger
> scale, historically. They had a great interest in
> the break-up of Yugoslavia, and played a big role in
> the process. They knew the break-up would lead to
> war; but they actively encouraged that historical
> course, using the UN to legitimise its strategy of
> global hegemony.
> The critical question in the reform of the UN should
> be how to eliminate or, at least, radically reduce
> the power of the rulers of America to use the
> organisation to legitimise its hegemonist strategy.
> If this is impossible or unrealistic, then let the
> talk about the reform of the UN be terminated. The
> reality now is that big war criminals fuel the
> conditions and processes that create small war
> criminals (in relative sense). The former are
> setting up tribunals, and setting the rules for the
> trial of the latter. Check the rise and fall, and
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

On February 1, 2006, our AAM discussion list changed to a new service, ICORS. If you experience any trouble accessing the list, please contact the list managers at <[log in to unmask]>.

TO POST TO THE LIST, send email to --

AAM Website:  http://www.africanassociation.org [under construction]