AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hedi Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:15:54 -0500
I didn't make it to this years Fiesta Hispana and event that I always look forward to. Instead I spent the day at Mansfield Stadium, watching my son win 2 silver and 1 bronze medal. It was the South Madison Panthers Track Team's Rotary meet. We had the privilege of having volunteers from Study Circles and The Neighborhood Intervention Project, on hand. While there was some grumbling by other teams, that I won't get into on this list (at least not today,) it was a great time and I wish to thank Team Coach Cheryl Knox for all that she does to ensure that our kids are kept busy and given the confidence boost that this type of participation offers.

The story I want to tell however is how I spent the rest of the day. I live on Madison's East Side, in an apartment complex which features 2 8-plexs and a 4-plex. Most residents are low-income or Latino families and our management decided to host a picnic to break down the barriers and hopefully create a sense of community. Our landlord, is a decent woman who treats everyone the same and whatever she has, we have. Which means, we have great apartments with decks, ceiling fans and built in microwaves. Since taking over 2 years ago, she has created a beautiful complex and greatly improved the overall look of the neighborhood. She learned this weekend however, that treating "everyone the same" doesn't mean the same as "respecting differences" and not understanding the difference between the two may mean you hurt peoples feelings or turn them away unintentionally.

In planning the picnic, the landlord put out all the information in English. It wasn't her responsibility to translate she said. Okay, I said. I guess it isn't (although I tried to encourage the opposite.) The picnic was to be from 5-7:30. I told her, this may be a conflict as we were up against Fiesta Hispana and also, most people prefer to gather in the evening or close to dusk versus in the light of day (unless it is a festival...) Not her problem, if they want to come, they will come. Okay, I said.

Tents went up, food was bought and reggae music floated over the top of our empty tent as myself, my landlord and one other family sat outside and ate our food. My landlord, not a happy camper, began tearing down tents at 7:30 and putting away food. In response to her grumbling I said "Maybe next year, you should involve the residents more and make it later in the evening. I think Fiesta Hispana, may have also have stolen some of your thunder." Whatever she said. I'm raising rents and I'm no longer going out of my way for people around here (not that she would really do that!!!)

As we were tearing down, I walked around the property and noticed people peering out of their windows. Not one to be shy, I decided to talk to folks. One group of men, were hanging out by their cars. I approached them. Not being a Spanish-speaker, I asked for some help in translating. "Hey, the landlord is raising everyones rent $50.00 to pay for the uneaten food...for the picnic that people RSVP'd and didn't attend" This got a round of laughter and the ice was broken. I got the signal to follow one young man, who took me to his home he shared with his family.

His wife, signaled to me through the window to come in. I did and upon entering, I knew a mistake had been made. On the stove was a huge pot of the best looking food I had seen. ( I later found out that pig-snout was an ingredient, pretty tasty...) There was shredded chicken, cooked with spices that I know are not in my kitchen as well as cakes and tortillas. She proceeded to show me the results of her hard work and even though I couldn't understand the language, I understood what had happened.

I went back out to my landlord. Stop! I told her, don't put anything away. Wait a minute! Around the corner we found another group of men, waiting hesitantly with 2 - 24 packs of MGD and Corona, I wave them around to the one remaining tent. Hmmm....my landlord looks up, a smile on her face and tells everyone to grab a chair, put the food back on the table and let's try this again.
Soon, we have a true feast. Not just deviled eggs, pasta salad and brats. But food reflective of the people in our community, pots of it! A run is made for Margarita Mix and someone pulls out some CD's, we find ourselves listening to Spanish Rock-n-Roll. Who would have known!!! Conversation ensues and we find that translators aren't really necessary and Salute means Toast. We Salute a lot!!!

My landlord, however needs to translate one more thing to everyone. She apologizes to the residents for her arrogance in trying to do things "the American Way" versus reaching out more to the residents to learn how they might do things. She apologizes for not being culturally competent and for putting the responsibility on the residents to understand her versus her trying to understand them. She asks for help in planning next years picnic. She thanks those who spent all day cooking the wonderful food and the rich cakes that most certainly set everyone back a pretty penny. Food that good...is priceless!!!

My landlord is also my friend and someone I have been working on for years, to bring around to a more culturally competent way of thinking. While most of the time I felt like I was hitting my head against a brick wall, I learned that lessons can still be learned and people can change and grow. I was proud of my landlord for not just figuring it out, but taking the time to apologize and admit her arrogance. I learned a lot too, and thought I would share it with all of you, because in a way that is my job.

The next morning (okay, late afternoon) as the residents began to emerge, I was able to say hi to my neighbor Hugo and his wife, I waved to Ernesto and Ivan and we all pointed to our fuzzy heads with laughter. We are a community now, not of strangers, but different people from different backgrounds who from now on, will be in a better position to support and understand each other. I personally am excited to live in this microcosm of the rest of the world and am glad we are a few steps closer to improving race relations. One mistake at a time.

P.S. Communication is possible, even if you don't understand the language and communication is KEY to any communities success.

Yours in the struggle,
Hedi Rudd
Study Circles on Race Coordinator
& Communities United Co-Chair