VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:17:54 -700

Gordon,
You are not quite correct that no blind folks were able to have
an accessible secret balot in that last circus.  , Alameda county
uses the Dibold touch screen voting machines and my city clerks
office had and was able to activate the audible voting system. It
worked nearly flawlessly and I was able to complete my balot
nearly as fast as was my sighted wife on the visual touch screen.
I could move "forward" through that idiotic list of "candidates"
quickly by hitting the 6 key  on the keypad as soon as I
recognized that the name being spoken was not my selection.

Of course the election didn't go my way but that's what is called
"democracy" these days.

There is serious question about the security of the Dibold systems,
although my personal opinion is that it is just some computer
geeks trying to make a fuss.

considering how messed up most things humans do get, I think the progress we've
had in this area is fairly remarkable.  I just hope everyone gets to see
these advantages before the truly critical primaries next spring.

And then there's the election for the next king---oops I
mean president!

Tom Fowle

Hayward, Alameda County CA.

Net-Tamer V 1.13 Beta - Registered