Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:04:36 +0200

> However,
>
> If our skin, hair and eye color became SO different and distinctive by
living
> in different
> environments, would it not also be fair to ask if these differences could
> somehow be related to
> diet? I've tried a few different ways to ask the question, but nobody
really
> seems to be offering
> any info, so I'm going to move on.
>
> Mike
I think the way you put your question was very easy to understand. It can
not be concidered a racist question, in my opinion.
Milk must be a good example of cultural eating and your question. When I was
a child I had never heard of someone not being able to drink milk. Everybody
drank milk for at least 3 meals a day. Milk, egg, porridge, bread, potatoes,
heering and fatty parts of pork was staple food. So people coaxed their
children to drink milk because it was considered the best food for children
even if some children really was very badly off on it. The connection
between milk and illness simply was not done.
Of cause, long time ago, those children were the first to die when for
instance infections and children's diseases got around because they were
already in a bad shape. So people would say "She died and she was never a
healthy child - always had a bad tummy"
Left to be "evolutionary fit" were those who could tolerate milk and the
evolutionary effect is that Swedes in general can drink milk in whatever
shape it comes. Mind you, I don't say we should but we don't get acutely ill
from it.
What is happening now in Sweden may be something like what happened around
milk. People are ill here, exausted, having pains, getting obese, being
anorectic. Fatigue disorders are common. We have many new products that
never existed in our food and people eat these products all the time. Sugars
and oils crushed out of plants that never existed here and probably was not
food anywhere else either. Huh!
Nowadays I thank my lucky star that I was always a cheapskate and made all
food myself - well, it tasted a lot better too and food in my family was
always important.
So, yes, there are definitely foods (non paleo) that some people are less
badly suited to eat than others.
No, I personally don't think we should eat differently depending on where we
come from.
Eva