C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 08:43:29 -0400
Merry Meet Fiz,

        My daughter age 18(years), has Right Hemiplegia, one of the most frustrating things when she was small - and not able to speak was - what was it like for her so I could get the right help and make the right accomodations. Once my Witchling could speak, she could help but before then I was in the dark. Amber didn't speak until she was almost 5. I found adults with CP reluctant to talk and wanted you to talk to other parents, and my point was the parents don't have CP, they can tell me what its like to have a child with CP but not what its like to have CP and what really was helpful. Its like asking the husband about what his wife's breast cancer is like - and not person with the cancer. Is this perhaps what your mentoring will accomplish?
        I have never tried to fix her. Only help her be the best she could be. I tried an alternative technique to surgery - e-stim and e-stim assisted pt and was able to never have her surged upon!! When she was about 9 and beginning to do spells - she wanted to do a spell to get rid of the CP. I said - that doesn't work - You have CP for a reason, you may ask to be the best you can be but not to change the basics of who you are. In my view - she is normal( whatever that means!!). Amber has just finished her first year of college, has a nice boyfriend, and we just got back from her dream vacation - A five day stay at Disney World - we went to Blizzard Beach, The Magic Kingdom, MGM Theme Park, Epcot, and The Animal Kingdom. She was in heaven and wants to work there - thru the college program.
        Welcome to the list!!

                                 Brightest Blessings
                                     Trisha