EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Equal Access to Software & Information <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 08:23:36 -0700
I would suggest considering MathType. It is commonly used as an add-on
to Microsoft Word, and works very well as a handwriting accommodation
for mathematics, including calculus and other advanced areas of study.
You can download a free 30-day trial from this link:
http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/default.htm

MathType is a mainstream WYSIWYG math editor used by math teachers and
STEM professionals all over the world, but it just so happens that it
has lots of accessibility hooks in the program that many people with
disabilities will find helpful. You can do math input entirely by mouse
(and any type of adapted mouse, head-tracking software, etc.) or you can
set it up with keyboard shortcuts to all the math symbols if that is
preferable. Using the shortcuts, you can even set up MathType to work
with something like Dragon Naturally Speaking, if desired. Here's a
guide to doing some of that, which will probably be helpful:
http://www.dessci.com/en/support/mathplayer/tsn/tsn112.htm

I should also mention that we have a number of resource articles on wide
ranging issues related to math accessibility available on our website:
http://www.dessci.com/en/solutions/access/

We also recently started a blog called Making Math Accessible, where we
will be reporting on new developments and news items of interest to the
math accessibility community:
http://accessiblemath.dessci.com/

Best regards,

Steve Noble