From:
Jessica B E George <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jessica B E George <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:42:45 -0400

Here is a summary of GF in NYC.  Thanks to everyone!
Jessica

--Briefly: There are sushi restaurants in the area, where you should be
safe eating most sushi and sashimi (but not eel, artificial crab
(including California rolls), and flying fish roe (the tiny orange
caviar). There's a good, upscale vegan restaurant called Candle 79 on
79th Street near Park Avenue. And there's an Outback (with a gf menu on
request) around 54th and
2nd Avenue.

There are also health food stores all over the city. I'd imagine that
you could get frozen gf food at one of them and then zap it in a
microwave at the MSK cafeteria.
--There is an Outback on E. 55 and 3rd avenue.
--there's a good (if small) health food store on the corner of 77th and
1st Ave - I can't remember the name right now, but they've got good GF
pasta, cookies, snacks, frozen meals, etc.  it's a few blocks north of
Sloan, but a walkable NYC distance.  Maryanne's is also a good Mexican
place 80's and 2nd ave? (they are a NYC franchise and you can look them
up if you like
Mexican).  if you venture out of the neighborhood, look for the Whole
Foods in Chelsea (west 20's) and any Health Pleasures grocery store -
both are excellent for GF fare and the distances are relatively small
on the subway.
--Check out "celiacchicks.com" website.  The girls who have the website
live in New York.  I'm sure you could e-mail them.
--Try going to www.goodhealthpublishing.com for a list of 59
national/regional restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free
items. There's also a gluten free dining card that can be presented to
restaurant personnel to ease the ordering process.
--Go to:
http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/
I'm not sure of health food stores in the city though.  There are some
on Long Island. Perhaps they can ship or deliver to you.
Look at www.earthsremedies.com  Ted, the owner, is really nice. I'm
sure he would be willing to accommodate you, if possible. They carry
MANY of the more popular GF items (even frozen).
--I would suggest you to ask your questions at this other excellent
site:  http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages
Ask Chris, she has organised a NYC GF restaurant list and explained all
the GF ropes to these restaurant owners.
There are very kind & knowledgeable people there, among them doctors,
to answer your questions.
There also is a GF product list, updated regularly.
--Hi:  Go to www.outback.com , www.carrabbas.com ,
www.bonefishgrill.com  .  They are all owned by Outback Steakhouse and
have gluten free menus on their web site and a location map.  Print a
copy of the menu, take it with you, and -----ask for the manager------.
 Perhaps there will be one near where you will be.
--Hello,There is a full listing of GF restaurants and markets in NYC on
my web site   www.silly-yak.com