From:
Debbie Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:49:11 -0500

Thank you all for your responses. There were many so this may be long.

I use GF corn flake crumbs mixed with almond meal, add a little sugar
and spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice). Also, the NuWorld Amaranth
cereals also make a nice crumb for crusts. I grind everything in my nut
mill/ coffe grinder (I never use it for coffee.)

Hi--I use ground up crisp rice cereal and ground nuts, usually toasted
almonds. Mix in equal amounts for the amount of cracker crumbs. Don't
compact the cereal after grinding. The flavor is a bit more "adult" than
graham, but it makes a great crust for cheesecake, etc.

Yes--Someone from this list recommended Kinnickknick grahamm type
crackers--I found them at a health food store and made my own crust
using traditional recipe--it came out fabulous! No one knew the
difference!

How about crush gf cookies with your rolling pin or put them in the
blender to make crumbs? I have not done this gf, but used to use grahm
crackers. Then add melted butter or margarine, cinnamon if you need more
flavor and pat mixture into pie pan. Good luck and keep us posted.

I have never had gluten-free graham crackers, so what I've done is used
half a package of Mi-Del GF pecan cookies and half a package of Mi-Del
GF ginger snaps. I crush them in the food processor and use just like
crushed graham crackers accoring to recipe directions. Sometimes, I'll
used just the pecan cookies if that's all I have on hand. Works pretty
well. Good luck and let us know if you learn of another GF graham
cracker source!

Not a shortcut item, but I've seen a graham cracker recipe in one of
Bette Hagmann's Gluten Free Gourmet cookbooks. Not sure which book
(maybe Comfort Foods or one of the other recent ones), but the
description with the recipe says it really tastes much like the real
thing (and she's usually pretty up front about how close you can expect
her recipes to be to the "real thing").

I process Health Valley Rice bran crackers. I find them bitter as a
cookie, but fine for crumb crusts. Really any cereal, bread, cookie or
cake crumbs will do. I use the Kinnikinnick "Graham Like" crumbs. My
husband is the celiac in our household but even I love the results I get
from these crumbs. For years I ordered them but recently found a local
nutrition store that carries them.

I use Health Valley Original Rice Bran Crackers. They taste very much
like regular graham crackers. You just roll them with a rolling pin or
whir them in a food processor to make the crumbs. They were gf last time
I checked

I use Health Valley Rice Bran Crackers and grind them up in a blender or
Cuisinart. Other people don't even know the difference when I make a
cheesecake or key lime pie. Just use the recipe for graham cracker
crust.

My Mother-in-law made a cheesecake with Kinnikinnick Graham Style
Cracker Crumbs which was pretty good. Good luck!

I use ground almond meal and it works just as good if not better. The
last few cheesecakes were turned out perfect. "Bob's Red Mill almond
meal/ flour is the product, just substitute it in the same amounts as
graham cracker crumbs.

I grind up Mr. Ritt's biscotti for crumb crusts....its and expensive way
to go but they produce superior crusts. You might contact them and see
if they have ends and pieces they would sell. I believe that they also
sell "graham cracker crumbs" as well.

The gluten free pantry is also a possible source.

Lots of times I don't bother with crusts and I haven't ever made one
with GF graham cracker crumbs, but I did try something that turned out
quite nice. I had some Maple Buckwheat Flakes from Arrowhead Mills and I
crushed some of them and added a little melted butter and pressed that
into a pie plate and poured in a no bake filling. It was very tasty and
worked we

Kinniknick

Click here: Kinnikinnick Foods

They have great Graham Cracker crumbs

I am making a pudding pie today, using these.............

I use Midel gf ginger snaps and grind them fine in my cuisinart. They
are great and work well for pies and toppings.

cookies, butter and brown sugar

I have used the Kinnikinnick ones and they seem fine.

You might want to try Mi-Del gf ginger snaps. They're not graham
crackers, but they taste great, and make a very good crust. I generally
find them at Wild Oats, though I'm sure there are other outlets.

My friends make graham crackers from a Bette Hagman recipe. You could
also use cereal crumbs...A mix of corn & rice Crunchems would have a
nice taste.

Health Valley rice bran crackers are very close to graham. I've also
used gluten free rice crisp cereal, both work very well. Good Luck!!

My secret (but don't tell anybody unless they are on a gf diet) is to
bake a batch of gf gingerbread, or the mock graham crackers, and make
crumbs out of them for pies. The gingerbread is a knockout crust for
pumpkin pie or apple pie. Yum and yum.

Crumbled Noture's Path Honey'd Cornflakes do the same job.

Look at my best recipes:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=14862.1

The crust recipe is there.

To enter at this Delphi CD Forum:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start

You could use Pamela's cookie crumbs. Lemon would be terrific for a
lemon meringue pie, chocolate for chocolate pie, etc.

I make the(gf) graham crackers and was told there really isn't any
difference in taste

gluten free trading co in Milwaukee sells Kinninick brand of gf graham
cracker crumbs

I have made my own graham crackers, or just substitute. I use crumbs of
whatever I have on hand. Usually it's GF rice flakes cereal! I've used
cookies that didn't turn out quite right, etc. If it's GF, you can crush
it up for crusts!