Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:01:01 -0700

Hello fellow celiacs!

Thanks so much for the many kind and helpful responses. I have to say that I now have an image of myself going to the Dr. armed with each of you behind me.  I have, like so many, been brushed off by some Dr.'s that didn't bother to search for true diagnoses, or I have been overloaded with unneeded antibiotics which caused complications such as yeast infections. I even was beginning to doubt myself and often thought I may be a hypocondriac.

There were many responses concerning itchy ears. I already tried 2% hydrocrotizone cream and it is much better, but I intend to get further medical assistance.

Many possible causes for itchy ears were given:
1. Several people said allergies are the likely cause and eliminating foods I am allergic to should cause the itching to subside.  Likely allergies included dairy, eggs, soy, and corn. Dairy and corn were most often mentioned. One person explained that corn is harder to avoid than wheat--it is in corn starch, corn syrup, popcorn, artificial sweetners, caramel color made from corn and citric acid made from corn, among other sources. Also, the allergies can be non-food, such as perfume.
2. A couple of people said eczema is a common condition associated with CD.
3. One person said his itchy ears are a result of Sjorgren's Syndrome. (I'll have to look that up.)
4. Yeast overgrowth was also mentioned as a possible culprit.

Some recommended actions:
1. Make a 4 to 1 mixture of warm purified water and hydrogen peroxide and put 4-5 drops into ear 3X a day OR use warm olive oil and do the same thing. In both cases keep the ear tilted for 10 min. and plug with cotton.
2. Use AQUAPHOR healing ointment, which was recommended by a doctor. It can be bought over the counter.
3. Bathe with 1 to 1 ratio of vinegar to water, but for one person the itching got worse. Switched to cortizone cream, but this should be a last resort as it can thin out the skin.
4. One person said it is very important to go to a good ENT and have inner ears checked and then go to an allergist to find out what is causing the excess fluid. It is very important to find a cure as it can lead to hearing loss.
5. Swab ears with witch hazel. Writer tried it and it worked temporarily. Having ears syringed out by a professional gives temporary relief. Corticosteroid nasal spray was used for 2 weeks and lasted 8 weeks. Writer will try that again.
6. Hydrocortizone-2% safe to use.
7. Zyrtec good for skin itchiness; Zantac also helps (surprisingly) because it is a histamine blocker.
8. Try Eargene liquid on Q-tip. Rub in ear canal. Do not scratch because the itching will only get worse and it can cause infection.
9. Benadryl helps.
10. Try 1 tsp rubbing alcohol to 1 tsp. vinegar. Swab inside of ear, not too far in, with q-tip. (2X a day) Writer said it didn't cure overnight, but it eventually did.
11. Prescription Elocon worked wonders for writer who had itchy ears 40 years. She said it only takes a tiny bit and the itching went away. (Yipee!!)
12. Some used Viamin E oil on a Q-Tip and it fixed the problem.

Hope this helps those of you who share the same problem. I feel encouraged.

Barbara in Alabama