VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 07:42:31 -0700
Hi to all.

There are a couple of issues here.  First is the issue of which
screen-reading software the employee will use.  While we all have our
preferrences (mine is Windowbridge followed by JAWS followed by
Window-eyes), the fact of the matter is that not all screen-reading software
reads all programs the same.  For example, Microsoft Works can be read a
little bit by Bridge (which doesn't use scripting and which attempts to read
any screen it sees) and cannot be read at all by JAWS (at least the older
versions of the program) which requires a JAWS-specific script before it can
read the program.  If the blind employee is comfortable with programming,
that person could take the time and effort to try to write a JAWS script for
Microsoft Works if that person wants to attempt to read the program.  Most
blind computer users are not quite that gifted, and we ultimately must rely
on state agencies or others to assist us in finding the screen-reading
software that works best with the employer's software--even if we do not use
that software at home ourselves.

The other issue involved is the software being used by the employer.
Ideally, it would be great if the blind person could use the exact same
software as their sighted counterparts without any modifications.  In
practical terms, however, because of the use of graphical interfaces coupled
with Microsoft's advances in technology that continually shut out the blind,
this doesn't always work.  In addition, employers like to have some control
over their employees by determining which software they are going to use
(it's usually done by contract), and, as indicated above, most blind
computer users (like myself) do not know how to import WordPerfect files
into Microsoft Word or vice versa.  The ultimate result is that employers
and state agencies tell us what equipment we can and cannot use on the job.
Are we "wimps" by not challenging the status quo through the ADA or
otherwise.  Maybe, but it helps us (at least in the short term) keep our
jobs, and most of us neither have the money nor the mental stomach (yes,
we're wimps) to mount legal challenges.

To all, take care.

Ted Chittenden