VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:47:01 -0500
Specifically, what information on a transit system will be made accessible
and how will it be communicated?  The message below does not say.  Why not?
It seems that this is a narrow approach for a single patent holder rather
than a broad solution that could truly deliver access.

Here in Chicago all our transit buses automatically announce all stops as a
result of a lawsuit.  the litigation was handled in large part by our
state's protection and advocacy agency and it has increased access
tremendously for the blind.  Why lobby for talking signs that could happen
someday when you could sue and get high quality access today.  the access we
have does not require anyone to carry around any external device to access
information, such as a radio receiver to hear the talking signs.

come to Chicago and visit what is very likely the world's most accessible
transit system for the blind.

Kelly