VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 2004 17:14:25 -0700
Hi to all.

Cody, I listen to (and find) on-line radio stations extensively using JAWS
(though I was using Windowbridge before).  Here are a few tips, and I hope
these can help.

1.  Do not use either Realaudio or Windows Media to try to find stations.
As you have discovered, access from inside the audio software is difficult,
at best.  Although Realaudio has some of its help features JAWS-friendly,
(1) you have to download an add-on to Realplayer to make the help screens
JAWS-friendly; and (2) the add-on only applies when reading Realplayer's
help screens.  Although Realaudio would like you to use Realplayer as an
Internet browser, the fact is that Realplayer is flash-intensive.

2.  To overcome these obstacles, I actually launch radio station streams
from the station's web site or one of a number of sites that have direct
audio links to station feeds on them.  In the latter category, sites you
should try include the ones listed below.

http://www.billsparks.org

This is a wonderful site set up by a blind person who works for the Social
Security Administration.  There are several direct links to radio station
and other audio feeds (include old-time radio shows) that work quite well,
thank you.

http://www.vtuner.com

There is some software that you can purchase with the information on this
site that is supposed to make it easier to work with Realplayer.  Ignore
that.  Putting the site on your Favorites toolbar will work just fine.  One
cautionary note:  the list boxes on this site require you to do an alt-down
arrow after you have gone into forms mode to read them.

http://www.radio-locator.com

Again, this is another site with direct audio feeds.  This site (run by the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology) focuses strictly on over-the-air
radio stations that are simulcast over the Internet.

I hope these sites and tips are helpful.  Please send me an E-mail if you
need any additional assistance.  To all, take care.
Ted Chittenden