Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:28:59 -0600
alan smith wrote:

>I'm trying to fix a computer for a senior who bought it from a local
>computer [??] store. When it's turned on, I get a screen with a big
>HEWLETT PACKARD logo, and underneath it reads " expanding
>possibilities ". It would not take a boot floppy or CD to put in
>WIN98SE.
>It couldn't find them. I got into the BIOS by clicking F2, and the boot order is OK.
>Does anyone know how I can get rid of that screen ??
>MOBO  KL97-XV, rev: 1.0, Pentium 2 with mmx technology, @300Mhz
>with 256mb RAM. The BIOS  is a PHOENIX 4.0, but I can't see it to get
>a number off it. Any ideas are appreciated.  MANY THANKS  AL SMITH

Are you sure the operating system is Win98SE? Looking at the info you
supplied, if the computer boots to the splash screen, and doesn't
proceed any further, it appears that the software for the operating
system is corrupted. Typically, the splash screen will appear because
the BIOS is programmed to run a file on the hard drive called "logo.sys"
which can be found as a hidden file in the C:\ drive folder. Now you
said that you could get into the CMOS screen  by clicking F2. And the
boot sequence is okay. By what about auto-detecting the hard drive? Can
it auto-detect the hard drive? You said it would not take a boot floopy
or CD. Are they functional? Try a methodical approach. Can you get into
"SAFE MODE"? If this computer can get into Safe Mode, then you should be
able to go under the C:\ folder and change logo.sys to logo.old and
reboot. With the splash screen off, you should be able to see the boot
process to see what is happening. This is just a start, because I think
your problem is deeper than you think.

Jean Bourvic

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com