From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:35:35 -0500
Ashley Moran wrote:

> I remember hearing a while back that severe carbohydrate restriction
> causes your thyroid gland activity to reduce, and I've heard reports
> that this can prevent weight loss in over-weight people.  I
> interpreted this as a kind of "winter mode", where the body becomes
> eager to conserve fat when food is scarce.  Is this true, and has
> anyone here experienced it personally?

I've heard only anecdotal reports of this, on one of the lowcarb
"technical" lists.  I.e., some people have done extended Atkins
induction/ketosis and had thyroid function tested and found that it
slowed--very possibly the "winter mode" effect you mention.  But I don't
know of any studies of it.  It's dangerous to base any conclusions on
anecdotes, even when people have had thyroid testing done, because we
don't know what other factors could have caused the thyroid problem.
Also, if you think about it. winter should be when the body *uses* the
stored fat; it should be stored in the autumn, in preparation for winter.

Todd Moody