From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 05:25:12 -0500
The following is the beginning of an article in "Discover" magazine.  Does
anyone on this list subscribe and able to post the full article here?
The Inuit Paradox
How can people who gorge on fat and rarely see a vegetable be healthier
than we are?
By Patricia Gadsby

DISCOVER Vol. 25 No. 10 | October 2004 | Biology & Medicine

Patricia Cochran, an Inupiat from Northwestern Alaska, is talking about
the native foods of her childhood: "We pretty much had a subsistence way
of life. Our food supply was right outside our front door. We did our
hunting and foraging on the Seward Peninsula and along the Bering Sea".

"Our meat was seal and walrus, marine mammals that live in cold water and
have lots of fat. We used seal oil for our cooking and as a dipping sauce
for food. We had moose, caribou, and reindeer. We hunted ducks, geese, and
little land birds like quail, called ptarmigan. We caught crab and lots of
fish—salmon, whitefish, tomcod, pike, and char. Our fish were cooked,
dried, smoked, or frozen. We ate frozen raw whitefish, sliced thin. The
elders liked stinkfish, fish buried in seal bags or cans in the tundra and
left to ferment. And fermented seal flipper, they liked that too."