From:
mark wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:17:30 -0700
--- Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> >> Low rate of CAD is visible among Japanese and
> >> Chinese despite high rates of
> >> smoking and hypertension.
> >
> >And pretty high carb consumption.  Any idea why
> they
> >have such low rates of CAD?  Is there something
> about
> >polished rice that makes is less lethal than other
> >junk carbs?

> What "pretty high carb consumption" are you
> referring to?

Is this a serious statement Ken?  Polished rice,
noodles, sweet potatoes, etc...Japanese are the poster
children for the high carb diet. Read anything by
Ornish for very specific info on the subject.  In the
meantime go here,

http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Research/LUC/ChinaFood/data/diet/diet_1.htm

With cerals at 41%, sweeteners at 10%, fruits, starchy
roots and veggies adding another 8% you're looking at
59% of calories coming from carbs.  The Chinese are
even worse.

Back to my original question, I'd have to say the low
incidence of CAD, despite high carp consumption, is
partially due to the lack of large amounts of high
fructose sweeteners in the diet, low consumption of
bleached white flower, less soda consumption, etc..
although in Japan all that is rapidly changing.

I still think that rice must be a relatively neutral
food, health wise.  Otherwise, how could the Japanese
be so long lived, despite eating so much of the stuff.

More from the web.......

COMPONENTS OF A JAPANESE DIET

The Japanese diet has always contained rice as its
primary source of
calories and carbohydrate. In 1950, the average
Japanese diet was very low
in fat (9%), high in carbohydrate (79%), and moderate
in protein (13%), with
an average caloric intake of 2,098 Calories (Kagawa).
Along with rice, other
staples such as barley, millet, taro and sweet
potatoes were consumed with a
moderate amount of vegetables, seaweed and fruit. The
main protein source
was legumes (especially soybeans and soybean products)
supplemented by
seafood, small amounts of poultry, and very small
amounts of meat. Their
sodium intake was very high, estimated at up to 15 to
30 grams per day.....

Mark