From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2004 08:05:22 -0600
SL wrote:

>To reiterate, I need to be patient, and I need to improve some things.
>I also need to lose ~ 20 kgs and get below 86 kg (BMI=25) -or lower -
>if I am to enjoy competitive running again. I should also get my
>waist size somewhat below the magical 100 cm. It may happen...but in
>my case at least, it may not happen quickly.
>
>I short, I hope this encourages at least some.  The average/usual progress
>on Paelo may be more 'slow and steady' than some of the success
>stories would suggest.?

Welcome to the list.  I have benefited tremendously from the wealth of
information on this list for the last five years.

You might find better, faster results by dropping the non-paleo items
from your
diet, such as coffee, skim milk, milkshakes. If you have a dairy
sensitivity, that
alone could account for lack of significant weight loss.  It is common for
recently-diagnosed celiacs to also react to dairy products, at least for
a year or two until the gut heals itself.

Speaking as a celiac (and acknowledging that cavemen didn't use supplements)
N-Acetyl-Glucosamine can help the healing process.

And as Thomas said, you probably will do better with a little more fat
in the diet.
Grass-fed meats have a better fat profile, but if very lean, you will
need to seek
out healthy fat sources.  There is ample evidence that hunter-gatherers
selected
the highest-fat animals, and selectively ate the higher-fat portions of
the carcass
including brains and marrow fat, leaving the lean muscle for the dogs or
scavengers.

You just can't eat low-fat and low-carb both.  This is one of the hardest
transitions some people make when going paleo; dietary fat has been
demonized
to such an extent that people can't imagine that eating natural fats is
healthy.

Good luck, and congratulations on your diagnosis; you can't recover from the
myriad problems of celiac disease without knowing that you have it!

    Lynnet