From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 07:08:48 -0700
Eva Hedin wrote:

>>>for women 81.4 and men 76.23.
>>>

>>Intersting. I had a friend go over to Sweden, I believe, and he said they
>>ate a lot of rich foods, with a lot of butter and cream.
>>

>This is really difficult to answer. The change in eating habits has been
>enormous. People eat more and differently but I think those that are 85
>years old now have only eaten home made foods all their lives. I don't
>really know what you mean with rich foods either. And I think we could have
>a different view on what whole foods are. These are American expressions and
>to me just as odd as the expression balanced food.

Rich foods are those rich in fat, such as butter, cream, bacon grease,
lard, etc.  You know, as I think
of it, something that was high in, say, olive oil, doesn't say "rich" as
much; it probably especially means
foods rich in saturated fat.  Just what people love and have been told
are bad for them.

Whole foods are those more or less as taken from nature: oat groats
rather than oatios, whole grain
breads rather than tasteless white mush breads, strawberries rather than
strawberry-flavored pop-tarts
or drink mix.

    Lynnet