ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:59:53 -0500
John,

Romans 11:18-24
"do not be arrogant toward the branches; but if you are arrogant, remember
that it is not you who supports the root, but the root supports you. You
will say then, "Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in."
Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your
faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; for if God did not spare the natural
branches, He will not spare you, either. Behold then the kindness and
severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God's kindness,
if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off. And
they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in,
for God is able to graft them in again.  For if you were cut off from what
is by nature a wild olive tree, and were grafted contrary to nature into a
cultivated olive tree, how much more will these who are the natural
branches be grafted into their own olive tree?"

I read this as if we do not continue in him, we will be cut off. I find God
to be one that is kind yes but also just, and it is unjust to lay his son
on the cross, and have it soiled by a person come to Christ, say he is
saved, then return to his old ways and bringing a mockery to the sacrifice.
The argument is always, "Well then he was not saved in the first place".
That is for God to judge, but I can't see him  giving eternal life to those
no longer trusting, obeying, and holding him as Lord over their lives. But
I can see him returning that eternal life to them if they return to
submitting Lordship of Christ... just as the scripture indicates above. I
also believe that John 3:16 is not a one time deal and that a continual
believing, continual trust, continual faith, is what brings salvation, not
a one time occurrence.

Curious of your thoughts.

Brad