C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Magenta Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:58:10 -0800
I am with you, Kat....it harkens back to when people thought of us as "the
cerebral palsied children"  I brought this issue up previously, I have no
mention of my disabilities in my sig either...  it seems so odd, because if
they stay on a parents group, they are bond to learn what each person has
in the way of a child with cp.   What we have been doing for 20 or 30 years
in getting person-centered language, and then these parents come along and
LABEL  their own kids!   sigh...

It's true I wrote a poem in the 80's called the cerebral palsy lady, but
it's very empowering... but to label yourself or your own kid "parent to
lisa with athetoid dystonic cp...."   well, there - that's my opinion,  the
parents can take it or leave it.

Mag

Come visit my new store! http://www.cafepress.com/TamarMag
visit my Blog at; http://tamarmag-newsletters.blogspot.com/