From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 1995 08:13:43 -0400

Here's something interesting that is appropriate for this time of year
(unless down under). Don.

From: [log in to unmask] (Harold R. Deeley)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Tomato/Green Pepper Spread
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 1995 06:45:01 -0400

Last week I posted to this group asking if anyone had a recipe for a
Tomato/Green pepper spread (after carefully checking all the recipe
archives I could locate) and never heard back from anyone. When I was a
kid in Hamilton, Ont I had a friend of Italian background and his mother
used to make this every year at harvest time. Anyway I tried to recreate
this delicious spread myself and succeed the first time with only a few
adjustments. Always believing in keeping it simple to start with I did
the following:

TOMATO - GREEN PEPPER HARVEST SPREAD

Blanch 11 qts. fresh Tomatoes, cook, puree and push through a sieve to
remove seeds (removing seeds is optional but it makes the sauce sweeter)
Core, wash and puree 12 green peppers
one garlic bud pureed with the peppers
Splash of good quality Virgin Olive oil (1/4 cup maybe)
1/2  tsp salt

Put all ingredients in a heavy bottomed commercial pot, bring to a boil,
reduce heat and reduce mixture for several hours until it is of a
spreadable consistency. Spread on fresh hot Italian/French crusty bread
with salt and pepper and ummmmm!!!

I packed it into jars for the winter except my wife is on the third jar
now and I don't think this yummy spread will make it to the winter let
alone through the winter.

I put a wire what-ya-macall-it under my pot to prevent the sauce from
sticking and burning since we only have electric power in Labrador. This
must be stirred often when it is getting towards the final thickness
desired or it *WILL* stick and burn.

If anyone has any similar recipes I would be interested in hearing about
them. Now I want to know how to make an Antipasto spread that I saw at a
craft show in Halifax this summer.

Regards,
Harold R. Deeley
Labrador, Canada