From:
Julianne Aloe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:33:08 +1000

Hi All,

First of all, THANK YOU!

This was my first real time posting a question to the group, and i knew
it was going to be a hot topic, but all of you out there are
amazing!!!!!!!! I received almost 50 replies! =20 Before i start with my
summary,  i would like to say to all of those that are depressed and
wrote to me, thank you for sharing, it is often a hard thing to admit
and although i feel that i am in a good frame of mind to start building
myself as a stronger person i know how hard it can be. I have experience
a lot of the dogmer that people with depression suffer and i hope that
in some way the following summaries can help you. To all of you that
offered your support and kind words a big hug and smile shines out to
you.=20 I have included some of the many nice and supporting emails just
so all of you out there know that none of us are alone in our battles!
Here goes..............................

It seems there are many people out there that suffer from depression and
are coeliacs!

------------------------

Plenty of people without CD have depression so why would anybody=20
think going GF is always a solution to depression? It's true that in=20
some people with depression, CD was the cause and going GF was the=20
cure. But there are other people with CD for whom the cause of=20
depression is something other than CD. You are probably in that group.

Although I do the same thing, we need to realize that every health issue
we have is not necessary related to CD - it can be a totally separate
issue.  Bottom line, you may be just like millions of others and suffer
from depression.  Talk to your doctor and forget about the CD for a
moment, unless you go on meds.

A quick response to your gluten and depression question.

Background: female, age 47, gluten free for 2.5 years, very strict; many
other food intolerances.

Depression/moods: if I get an accidental ingestion I get extremely
agitated and then feel quite depressed. I did not suffer from clinical
depression before and do not now, but when I get some sort of accidental
ingestion I am miserably emotionally, as well as physically.=20 I am
undergoing acupuncture treatments now and find them enormously helpful
with insomnia, digestive distress, and stress management; and it does
help prevent me from feeling really down/depressed, even when I am
having digestive trouble.

Have you done an elimination diet to determine if you're eating other
foods you react to in addition to gluten? Casein (dairy protein), for
instance, is a major culprit for depression.

One person wrote,  take wellbutrin !!!!=20

It could be a carbohydrate/depression connection...when you are
depressed, do you happen to be eating more complex carbohydrates?  Just
a guess.  That seems to happen with me.

---------------------------------------

two of my replies suggested this,=20

I was depressed and finally found out that I also have hashimoto's
hypothyroidism which causes depression and goes hand in hand with celiac
and is another autoimmune disease. I am being treated for the thyroid
and will take the medication the rest of my life for the thyroid, but
the depression didn't go away and my doctor recommended an
antidepressant. He said sometimes even when the thyroid is under control
with medication, the depression still does not go away. I have been
taking Wellbutrin for a little over a year now and it got rid of the
depression and I don't have any grogginess or side effects. It does not
make you sleepy or anything like that