From:
Deborah Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 04:39:48 -0700

We also don't do the GF breads/cakes/mixes anymore.  We, too, had trouble
with reactions to them, even when I made everything from "scratch" and left
out the eggs, guar gum, xanthan gum, and any other ingredients that we
could identify that we might be reacting to.  (In fact, I've even quit
making gravy using potato flour because of reactions.  I'm wondering if all
the milled products are cross-contaminated with soy or other legumes that
my family can't tolerate.)

Like Valorie, we've done just fine without the baked goods.  Since they are
primarily "empty calorie" foods, I've not worried about missing anything
nutritionally.  I think we're probably better off without all the starch
and sugar, especially considering what I've read about dysbiosis (gut flora
imbalance).

The only thing I miss is the psychological/social aspect.  Our daughter's
birthday is this month, and we've nothing (no food, that is) to put candles
in!  Anyone with creative ideas to solve that?  (I'll summarize!)

Deborah in OKC

[log in to unmask] wrote:

Another disadvantage I found with GF breads was nutritional. The GF
breads are typically made with highly refined empty calorie starches such
as tapioca, potato starch, white rice flour, etc. Not to mention all
those "phoney" food ingredients such as guar gum, xanthan gum, etc.
which are really just gooey, indigestible carbohydrates that are well
known for causing GI problems. When my son was eating GF bread buns
every day, he constantly complained of loose bowel movements several
times a day. He had never had the problem before, even before the GF
diet! Everytime I ate GF breads, I got cramps & bloating.

Valerie in Tacoma