From:
Lois La Seur <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 1 May 2004 13:21:09 EDT

I have tried researching this from old posts, but haven't found the
information I need, so please forgive me if this covers old ground for many of you.

I recently had a blood test for CD, with the following results:

Antigliadin Abs, IgA    negative
Antigliadin Abs, IgG    116 (high positive listed as >30)
t-Transglutaminase IgA    negative
Reticulin IgA                negative
Reticulin IgG                negative

I have read that some people don't produce IgA antibodies at all, and that
the percentage of these in the CD population is higher than in the general
population, although still small.  That might explain why some of the tests were
negative, but the Reticulin IgG was negative as well.

I've also read that antigliadin IgG is not specific for CD, but can also
occur in other gastro-intestinal diseases, but no one ever says what those are.

Should I pursue another blood test?  This one was taken by LabCorp, which is
not one of the labs noted for experience with CD blood tests.  Should I try to
get a biopsy done?  I really don't want to -- costs too much, and seems like
it might be uncomfortable, to say the least.  Or should I just go gluten free
and see if that resolves my symptoms?

Any advice any of you can give would be most welcome.

Lois