NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
mfeltner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:30:43 -0400
I understand your situation.  My husband and I both work and it is a challenge
getting dinner on the table every evening!  Working around our son's milk
allergy eliminates a lot of the quick, pre-packaged, processed standby's we
used to rely on to get us through our busy work week!

Our main strategy for weeknight meal planning: simplicity!  Simple meals like
broiled marinated meats with vegetables on the side, stir-fried veggies with
rice or pasta, pasta and marinara sauce.  In other words, things I can make
without a recipe and without much preparation.  If I have time on the
weekends, I make more labor-intensive meals and save portions for the entire
week (things like casseroles, chicken and dumplings, meat and vegetable stews,
cakes and breads).

For quick meals straight from the freezer section, though, I rely on Amy's
Kitchen products.  We love the black bean enchiladas, no cheese pizza,
shepherd's pie, and burritos.

Also, one neat resource for recipes online is www.foodyoucaneat.com, a site
aimed at food allergic folks.  If you register as a member, you can search the
recipe database and refine to limit results to recipes that do not include any
foods you are allergic to or don't want to eat.

I did a search excluding milk, egg and nut as ingredients, and got back 23
pages of recipe lists.  Lots of good stuff turned up!

I also highly recommend getting a good milk-free cookbook - you probably
already have some, I suppose, if you've been coping with milk-allergy for
long.  One I like is The Milk-Free Kitchen.  Don't recall the author off-hand.

Melanie

>===== Original Message From Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List
>I have a milk allergic daughter (8) and non-allergic son (6) and husband ()
and have recently gone back to work.  I am feeling a need to do some better
strategic meal planning for weeknight suppers.  Most of the readily available
meal plans are heavily dairy product dependant.  I know there are some great
cooks out there who could share  milk free recipes that work well for them.  I
also bet this sort of group sharing might help others who are trying to put
meal plans for the milk allergic together.