ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:41:28 -0600
Brad,

When I first moved to Denver almost 32 years ago now, I went into the
vending program.  My first place was at the Denver University Law Center.
It was opened from 6 in the morning till 10 at night.  I ran the night
shift.  The other blind guy, partially sighted, in no way wanted a partner.
He had basically run off the senior partner just so he could have the place
for his own.  It was a great money maker.  Even went the school was sort of
closed during 6 weeks of the summer, the center was continually used and the
vending machines had to be taken care of on a weekly bases.  This guy hated
Christians, too.  He never failed at an opportunity to make fun of
Christians or to try and anger me.  It lasted about nine months.  He had a
day chrew, with whom he worked, and with whom I also had to work for a
couple of hours each afternoon.  The old lady and her daughter were mean
people.  The old woman was really mean and she was even mean to our
customers.  I would have been fired for things she said to customers but my
partner always let her go.  He said it was because she had been in the
restaurant business and really knew her stuff.  All I ever saw her do was
take cash at the register so I never could figure it out.  Anyhow, as I
said, after nine months, it came to an end.  I had been degraded, pushed,
hammered, and made fun of long enough.  Our night chrew never showed up so
my partner had to stay and work the second shift with me so he wasn't very
happy in the first place.  Just before the evening rush, he got mad about
something and in the process, I told him how I felt about my treatment.  I
had already reported this to the head guy running the program in the first
place so he was aware of it all.  My partner told me to get out.  Fine with
me.  I left just as rush hour started and went down to the basement and met
up with a man I road with because he passed right by my house as he drove up
into a small mountain town where he lived.  Some guys simply do not know how
to receive kindness from others.  It sounds like your man there is that
type.  Besides, as a friend of mine used to always say, a blind guy don't
know nothing anyway.  By the way, I heard a preacher friend of mine quote
that verse once about the ringing of the nose bringeth forth blood.  He said
that he knew a man who was arguing with an atheist one day and after hours
of debating, the Christian finally said, If I can prove to you the Bible is
true, will you believe there is a God then?  The atheist said, if you can
prove to me that Bible you have is true, I'll confess there is a God.  The
Christian jumped on the atheist, wrestled him to the ground, and twisted his
nose until it began to bleed.  The atheist finally was turned loose and
said, What the blank do you think you are doing, you fool.  The Christian
opened his Bible and showed him that verse.  So, the Christian said, I have
proved the Bible is true.  I twisted your nose and it is bleeding.  Now,
this friend of mine was known for telling stories but he claimed this was a
true story.  Even if it isn't, it made for good preaching.

Phil.