From:
wayne hammons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2005 11:03:02 -0600
My family is eating 5-10 lbs of pemmican per month and really like it.
However, the nutritional information does seem low on calories and fat.  I
assume the calculation are for the 2 oz bars but the number of grams added
up to over 60 and their are only 56.6 grams in 2 oz.  However, if the
measurements are for a 4 oz. bar then what makes up the other 52 grams.  It
is not suppose to be water because the fat and the meat are purged of water
in the processing.

I am thinking that 210 calories per oz. is close to what I would expect to
see with a composition of 50% fat by volume and 50% dried beef by volume.  I
would think that saturated fat weighs more than twice or three times as much
as dried beef. So let's say that fat is 70% of the weight and 85% of the
calories.  Which is what the other articles I have read about pemmican say
that it should be.

I have always assumed that the calories posted on the US Wellness beef web
site ware based on an erroneous calculation.  If you have eaten them then
you know that the fat content is pretty obvious.