From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 14:24:30 -0600
Dave Osofsky wrote:

>I know that coffee isn't strictly paleo, but it seems like a lot of people on  this list still drink it.  My question is this:  In Neanderthin, Ray said the #1 thing that elevates your cholesterol is drinking coffee that has not been percolated or filtered through paper.  Part of the reason I am going toward a paleo lifestyle is my elevated cholesterol, so I was concerned about this.

Here is a URL.
http://www.mercola.com/2001/feb/28/coffee_cholesterol.htm

Some of this is based on a scandinavian study comparing filtered and
nonfiltered (boiled) coffee.
Percolated coffee is said to be the worst.

>I need a new coffee maker, and a lot of the better ones are vaccuum or drip and filter the coffee through a fine metal mesh instead of a paper filter.  Is this bad?  Could anyone steer me in the right direction?  Thanks!

You can find drip coffee makers which take a paper filter.  That's what
my husband did, also he
only drinks decaf coffee.

    Lynnet