From:
D L Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:11:39 +0000
>According to Fine, celiac is but a small subset of the greater malady
>"gluten sensitivity."

Dr. Marios Hadjivassiliou at The Royal Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield,
England, also believes that people with intestinal Celiac represent only a
fraction of those who are adversely affected by gluten (and there are others
who do, as well).  He identifies a number of neurological symptoms in a 2002
article entitled "Gluten Sensitivity as a Neurological Illness."  Here is a
link to the PDF online:

http://jnnp.bmjjournals.com/cgi/reprint/72/5/560

>Get this.  Of 227 normal volunteers tested by Dr. Fine, 9% had antigliadin
>antibodies in the blood.  >But 76% had the antibodies in stool!  This
>suggests that up to three quarters of the population is >gluten sensitive,
>seventy five times more than the new estimations.

From our family's experience, Dr. Fine is right, just way ahead of the curve
in revealing the extent of the negative effects of gluten.  Dr.
Hadjivassiliou's estimates are not as high as Dr. Fine's.  He's still
talking only about antibodies in blood, but he does recognize that people
with only antigliadin antibodies can be suffering gluten-related symptoms
even though they may not have enteropathy and don't have antiendomysial or
antitissue transglutaminase antibodies.

Deborah