From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:36:27 -0500
Michael Raiti wrote:

> -would it have been normal for an individual to eat what we consider
> a full meal several times a day regularly or would they have more
> likely been eating small amounts throughout the day?
>
> If anyone is able to summarize current thought any of the topics
> above it would be appreciated.

The clinical research is quite promising on Intermittent Fasting (IF).
That's not what you asked, but it is related.

There are several theories as to why IF might increase health and
wellbeing and lead to increased lifespans (which it has been shown to do
in rodents and probably does in people):

1. Controlling blood glucose levels. The body controls its own BG levels
rather than relying upon food or having to deal with food most of the
time. This is a Good Thing.

2. Controlling insulin levels and all the hormonal activity associated
with insulin.

3. The "detoxification" theory. All food is a "necessary evil", and IF
gives the body time to eliminate "toxins" without constantly being
challenged with new ones from new meals.

Regardless of the theory, I am convinced that paleo man and woman didn't
eat all the time as we do today. Not three squares and probably not two.

My conjecture is that the big meal was at night. Much of the time there
was very little eating during the day at all. And this is how I lead my
life now. I don't eat at all during the day, except for special
occasions, and I find my energy levels much higher than ever before and
my overall health has improved. In fact, it doesn't seem to matter as
much what I eat, I still get a huge benefit from IF.

When I tell people about my eating, they always say the same thing: "I
could never do that....I need to eat during the day...I feel faint if I
don't eat...and besides it's unhealthy to eat that way..."  Yet, it is
quite possible to eat this way, at least for me, and probably
beneficial, which would lead me to believe that we are genetically
designed to eat infrequently. I wish this list focused more on frequency
as paleo eating instead of just what you eat.

--Richard