From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 22:32:57 +0100
On Sep 17, 2004, at 10:06 pm, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I find the thought of no brushing or care for 6 months
> very
> gross indeed.  Cavities are not the only concern - what about your
> breath and
> how your mouth tastes and feels to you (and S.O.)?

I've had no problems with my breath.  My mouth feels fine to me.
Unfortunately (if that is the word) I don't have a SO to comment on my
teeth.  And no- I did not have a SO 6 months ago :P

> I think paleo people probably used twigs or (pine) needles and the
> like to
> clean between their teeth.  There are products like "Stimudents" that
> are
> similar - little wooden picks that I use instead of floss.  I only
> brush once a day,
> but I can't imagine not doing one thorough cleaning and a tongue
> brushing
> every day ;)

I imagine you are right that paleo people would have used things like
pine needles to clear out stubborn pieces of food, but this is *far*
from a thorough brushing every day.  I'm not saying I leave food stuck
in my mouth for days.  Far from it- I usally run my tongue round my
mouth and occasionally dislodge food with my nails after eating (quite
rarely now I am eating mostly fatty meat).

I think regular brushing is something we've been brainwashed to do, and
is more of a habit than a conscious decision.  It may well benefit
people eating a neolithic diet, but I see no need for it on a paleo
diet- a bit like the way diabetics reduce or remove their need for
insulin supplements.  If the cause of the problem is no longer there,
then neither is the need for the solution.

Ashley