From:
Persephone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 06:52:29 +0100
Hi Sharon,

That was fascinating reading. As you said, it's hard to know how this
research applies to a paleo diet with fruit as they were almost all using
extrinsic fructose, or added other nutrients like saturated fat and
cholesterol.

My current thinking is that a diet high in fats *and* grain-derived carbs
combined with a sedentary lifestyle is what does all the damage, whilst meat
fats alone are fine combined with whole fruits, as long as we keep active.

I was particularly interested in the paper below:

Extrinsic and intrinsic sugars: a review of recent UK recommendations on

diet and caries. [Review] [27 refs]

Source

Caries Research.  27 Suppl 1:64-7, 1993.

Abstract

I'd love to read this, but I can't afford to subscribe and gain access to
the full research. Does anyone have a copy they would be kind enough to send
to me off list?

My whole outlook on nutrition (which had previously been ultra-orthodox)
changed when I went to see a new dentist some years ago. As I lay back in
the chair, I noticed that he had a copy of T.L. Cleave's 'The Saccharine
Disease' on his bookshelf. Thus began an extraordinary friendship which
revolutionised my thinking on what constitutes a healthy diet, and taught me
a great deal about what happens to people who challenge accepted thinking on
nutrition, especially if they threaten the big food companies' interests.

I'm also still hoping that someone will be able to answer my previous
question about whether or not fruit acids in whole fruits will harm my
teeth, and if so, do I have to brush my teeth after every piece of fruit? I
eat so much of it that I would probably brush the enamel off eventually <g>

Still eating lots of fruit alongside the meat and losing excess weight
steadily (my doc is *so* impressed with the Paleo diet)

Persephone