From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:35:49 -0500
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 23:00 Ashley Moran wrote:

>What is confusing me now is that carbohydrates
>are generally accepted as the cause of weight gain,
>so it seems ironic that a lack of carbohydrates
>can cause a lack of weight loss.

>> Fagin's NHE recommends two high carbohydrate/
>> low fat evening meals twice a
>> week and gives arguments why this is 'optimal'.

>When you put it like this, carb-binging does
>sound like a bit of black magic.  Paleo people
>obviously wouldn't have eaten this way.  >
>Ashley

Read Faigin's book for an explanation of the physiology of insulin: he
explains how insulin is essential (it pumps the good things into every
body cell, among other things), but is also bad in excess.  I can't go
into it here, but Faigin's discussion is rooted in his knowledge of human -
 even mammalian - evolution.

Carb binging is just what we would have done.  In the Paleolithic carbs
would have come primarily from fruit (+ some tubers).  Fruit is seasonal
(so seasonal binges) and fruit bearing trees would have been in particular
locations (so geographical binges for Paleolithic people who wandered
around their territory based on food and water availability over the year).

Keith