From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:05:28 -0500
> Hello everyone, I´m a med. student from Sweden joining this group.
Currently, I´m  working on a pilot-study on paleolithic diet on healthy
volunteers.

> >Now and then there is a mentioning on this list on the longevity of
theJapanese. >
> Has anyone else heard anything about this?
> /Magnus.

The second largest long-term nutrition study ever conducted was among
Japanese-American men at the University of Hawii Medical school.  Here are
some of their first results (containing enough info to do a proper pubmed
search):

"Sheehan's concern about the effects of soy on cognitive function (detailed
in his submission to the FDA opposing the Protein Technologies Health Claim
Petition) is mainly based on the findings of Dr Lon White from the
Honolulu:Asia Aging Study.   Long-term data (30+ years) from 7,000 men in a
prospective epidemiological study in Hawaii showed an association between
consistently high levels of tofu consumption in mid-life with low cognitive
test scores and (independently) with Alzheimer's disease in late life.
Persons who reported eating tofu at least twice weekly had a 2.4 fold
greater risk for development of Alzheimer's disease compared with persons
reporting little tofu consumption. "

Of course the best studies of longevity were those done at the U of Georgia
Medical School ( where S. Boyd Eaton is a frequent lecturer - see his book
"Paleolithic Prescription").  Here's a reference:
 Johnson, Mary Ann,
 "The Georgia Centenarian Study: Nutritional Patterns of Centenarians."
 The International Journal of Aging & Human Development Vol. 34(1) (1992)
57-76.
[ Explains that hundred-year-olds typically eat high-fat diets.]

Welcome aboard Magnus and let me know if I can be of any assistance with
your study.  I've been eating paleo for 20 years.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin"
www.NeanderThin.com