From:
Tad Glines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:34:50 -0500
> Nicole Rendezvous wrote:
>
> Arrrgh! How can you possibly eat ants??? Okay, I realize I'm speaking from
> a culturally biased position, but still...my 2 year old son has an
> instictive fear of bugs (and they are all over the place since we live on
> the water.)  How did you become so "de-civilized" for lack of a better
> word.  On the other hand, I am too civilized.  I want to try buffalo, but
> looking at it in a blood filled plastic bag makes me nauseous.

Children are very perceptive when it comes to their parent's behavior. If
you had been eating bugs in front of him since he was born, he would now be
finding and eating the same kinds of bugs. His "fear" of bugs is partly a
fear of the unknown (he hasn't seen you pick up any bugs) and partly due too
your own response to bugs.

While I don't have a negative response to a bloody piece of meat, I still
shiver when I see someone on T.V. eating a live octopus. Overcoming cultural
food aversions is really only possible when you force yourself to try the
food knowing that it just might taste ok. I used to think eating sushi was
disgusting but once I tried it, I found that I actually like it, though I
don't drown it in soy sauce and wasabi like most people.

-Tad