From:
Nicole Rendezvous <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:15:24 -0500
After eating paleo for some time, I noticed (well, actually my husband
noticed) that the soles of my feet were much softer.  It seemed that the
gross white callouses that I always had had almost disappeared.  My mother
has the same callous issue so I figured it was just "genetic."  Gradually,
my feet are becoming softer and healthier looking.  Also, I noticed that
there is more sensation in my feet.  I didn't even realize that I had less
sensation before.  It occurred to me that this is a symptom of diabetes.
I did an internet search and lo and behold, diabetics are more inclined to
have less sensation and callouses in their feet.  There are no diabetics
in my family, but my previous higher carb diet must have caused some
insulin resistance.  From what I've gathered this means that the cells in
my feet (and other less obvious parts of my body) were protecting
themselves from the insulin, but at the same time couldn't use the sugar I
consumed.