NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Eric Schlesinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 15:21:03 -0500
Lactose is the sugar, not the protein.  From what I've seen of
inforamtion about the purification process, it should be free of casein,
the protein.  HOWEVER, there are also notes in what I can find about
level of purification of the lactose and I have no way of finding the
specifics of them - so, while I tend to believe that any concentration
of the protein in pharma-grade lactose would be miniscule, I certainly
don't know that for sure, as I don't know what concentrations might be a
problem with severe allergy to it (I am fortunate in that I'm "merely"
severely LI and don't have a true allergy).

Now, if he's old enough to have taken (for example) most multivitamins
(Centrum, Theragren among them, but NOT One-a-day which does not have
lactose in them) and has not had any reaction, I'd suspect he's probably
okay with most medications containing pharma-grade lactose.  If not, I'd
be very cautious about it until he's had something like that in a
controlled environment..

There's no easy answer, unfortunately.