BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:21:06 -0600
  Bruce,

I don't think we have a substantial disagreement.  The definition of
the problem, and setting the parameters of the acceptable solutions,
quickly narrow the design direction and support any previous decisions
(like the selection of the architect, or if the project is necessary).
The schematics are not arbitrary flailings among random ideas, they are
a disciplined process of continuing to refine one's understanding of
the problem and the seeking of the elegant solution.

If one starts sketching a design without understanding if the problem
is by nature engineering, construction, financial, ego or that spooky
new age wisdom stuff, one isn't really addressing the client's needs.
Not that that should be a concern.

-jc