BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Becker, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A man of honor pays his debts with his own money. --DeGaulle
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:04:30 -0400

All hubcaps and no substance, eh?

So does this mean that the National Register criteria for age of 50
years is a good thing? Why 50 years? What was built in 1954 that is now
eligible for the Register that wasn't historic last year? Is the
criteria exception allowing buildings of exceptional significance less
than 50 years old to be listed a good thing? Why do we need a number at
all? Why can't we just say: make the case for significance and it will
be listed? Would that mean anything less than 50 years old is an AIA
honor award, anything older than that is historic recognition? What's
the difference?

Dorton Arena in Raleigh, completed 1953, was listed in the National
Register of Historic Places in 1973. Honor award or historic?

Dan Becker,  Exec. Dir.       "Conformists die, but
Raleigh Historic          heretics live on forever"
Districts Commission              -- Elbert Hubbard
919/807-8480