From:
Darrell Shandrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:48:06 -0700
Hi Tom,

Just one important point.  The sighted don't need any special treatment.
They're sighted.  They don't need reasonable accomodations because they're
the norm and everything is already accessible to them.  They don't need
accessibility because, again, it is already inaccessible for them.  I'm
blind; not sighted.  In order to be certainly able to participate, I need
the same material in an accessible format.  Period.  Readers are fine, but I
think we're in a different age than in the not-too-distant past.  It is
harder to find readers now.  It is hard enough to find people who are really
sufficiently educated to read, let alone find people who really want to do
it even for a reasonable amount of money.

I'm definitely going to be contraversial when I say this, but, you know
what?  I'm blind.  I'm not, in fact, equal to my sighted peers in all
respects.  I'm somewhat equal, but not completely so.  In the areas where
the inequalities are due to lack of accessibility or to some other
artificially imposed barrier to our participation, then it isn't too much to
ask for enough reasonable special treatment to get around the barrier.
Times are changing; I think we need to insist on our accessibility now
before it becomes too late.  More and more sighted people are writing us off
every single day, this stuff could ultimately come down to our very
survival!