Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:21:41 -0400
Lou,
I think what you've pointed out is well and good, so far as your decision to
join or not to join Handi-hams is concerned.

As for accessible materials, I am speculating here.  But, my guess is that if
you were to become a new client of the NLS or RFBD now, you would probably
have to go through a similar certiification procedure.  You would need medical
verification that you had a covered disability, be it dyslexia, visual
impairment, or some other condition which prohibits you from reading print.

To paraphrase our good friend, William Shakespeare:
"The fault, dear Harvey and Lou, is not in Handi-Hams, But in our laws, that
we are underlings."  And, as underlings, all those entities who are required
to get certification for those claiming disabilities, one of those
requirements is the HIPAA, which although burdensome to us, also gives us
protections as to how our inner-most private information can be disclosed.

Steve, K8SP