Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jose Carlos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 05:15:36 -0500
Good morning:

I'm biting my tongue. Having promised, almost sworn, not to foster or
start any off-topic subject on this list anymore, I just find myself to be
in an impasse right now.

Having read the excerpt below (Adam Sroka), I almost can't help saying
something about it that I know beforehand to be off-topic.

Am I asking for punishment? Well, if I must be punished, don't make it be
driving me away from the group. Not yet. Even though I am no masochist, in
self-punishment, I'll suspend myself for a few days. You will hear again
from me only after Mardi Gras. But now let me publish my cacophonies.

That modern and ancient women worked more and in some cases harder than
men is a well-known fact. When I come to think of it, I can discern that
men were trained to work with the unexpected (of course there's some
method to hunting, but much of it is simply chance), whereas women were
trained to work with routines (gathering, harvesting, etc, maybe
childbirth is an exception).

House chores are typically routine. That's maybe why women are so good at
it, much better than men.

This doesn't mean, however, that women can only work with routines. We say
here a woman has often a double agenda: working outside the house as a
professional and then in the home and for the kids, while husband watches
his TV. No, I don't mean you paleo men, but ordinary men, if ever there is
such a thing.

I'm really concerned about the double agenda of women. It isn't an easy
load, but on the other hand they may be physically fit for it. Why call
them "the weak sex"? A man would probably fall apart in less than two
weeks if he had to follow a double agenda.

But what really breaks my heart (and again the sentimental guy is showing
up here) is the unfortunate situation of a woman having to bring up their
children alone, not because she chose to be a single mother, but because
the father went away, in rejection of the child(ren). I don't think this
happened with paleo mothers.

A very extreme example of this is happening all the time here, in this
country: we hear of young mothers discarding their newly born babies into
the garbage or waterways. Of course it'd be better to give up the child
for adoption, but it seems that just after childbirth a few women are into
a dreamy state or a trance and can't be responsible for whatever they do.

I know that, among the ancient, discarding defective babies and the aged
was very common. But then it was a question of survival for the group,
which was unable to look after the invalid. Was there compassion? I don't
know when. At some point, however, a mother must have felt really bad for
leaving behind a defective baby and decided to keep it at all costs or a
man must have felt really sorry for having to forsake his aged parent on a
cold mountain and provided him with shelter and food.

The difference with these young modern mothers is that their offspring are
healthy babies who in some cases (but not always) will survive the
discarding, but I can only wonder about future psychological consequences
for both mothers and children. And for the fathers as well. As they grow
older, they may resent all the harm they have "unconsciously" caused. No?

I don't know what best conclusions we can draw from all of this, but I
know some questions: 1. Are we really still so primitive? 2. How frail are
the human webs of our current high-tech society? 3. Are males innately
too "lazy" to take up their burden as fathers? You say it.

Now I'm on the way to my retreat, and I hope you can forgive me for my
blah-blah-blah.

JC