Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:00:42 +0900
From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
On Thursday, September 15, 2005, at 12:44  PM, Pat Barrett wrote:

> I got into paleo foods because of high blood pressure. It returns to
> normal IF I stay on the diet.

I had a BP check today for a blood donation. I was happy to see that my
BP was exactly the same, (if my memory is correct), 105/58, as it was
when I was 18 and getting my cross country physical in college.

> What I was saying today is how the research and science books are so
> dense and even contradictory, that they cannot be relied on. What seems
> to make sense to me is to see what works: in my case, what lowers my
> bp.
> Report on that and allow people to try it. Since everyone is different,
> "results may vary."

In my case it seems to be physical activity, not diet that controls it.
When I don't run for a few months, it creeps up. When I get back in
shape it falls to the old levels. This was true before I started paleo
too.

> In my field of foreign language teaching, we are rived (I prefer
> 'riven', but spell check prefers 'rived')

Forget what some machine tells you to write. I have never heard of
'rived', and I teach English too. I bet J.R.R. Tolkein never used
rived!  ;--) He didn't use MS Word to grammar check his books either.

>  by disputes over what the
> research shows. Many teachers just try a variety of methods to see what
> results in students actually using the language.
> So my guess is that diet and its effects are every bit as complex as
> language and language acquisition. We just see what works for us.
> [log in to unmask]  Pat Barrett

I think so. Today I have a headache. Yesterday I ate a big bowl of
cereal and milk. I do once in a while, for no good reason. But often
when I eat wheat, and this cereal had a little wheat in it, I get very
stiff neck muscles and a headache. Fortunately these days they don't
develop into full-fledged migraines like they used to. But
uncomfortable.

A few days ago someone here reported that they got leg cramps after
eating something. Not so different from my neck muscle stiffness, maybe.