Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:50:26 -0400
7bit
From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Kristina Carlton wrote:

>However, I do agree with you on the boredom. IN addition, food is such a
>social thing these days and the social events we attend rarely have anything
>I can eat - so I bring "my" food.

Personally, I long ago gave up on trying to do paleo when socializing or
in restaurants.  To me, it's just not worth it.  I make an effort to
stay lowcarb and don't worry about it.  Food has *always* been a social
thing, a mode of conviviality for our species, and I regard it as
unpaleo to let food get in the way of enjoying life.  Part of enjoying
life, as far as I'm concerned, is enjoying food with friends and even
enjoying what *they* enjoy.  Food is not just about nutrition.  If I had
bad reactions to specific foods, I might have to avoid them anyway, but
I don't.  I did not find that the rigorist "orthorexia" approach to
eating was good for my mental health, and that is a nontrivial part of
my overall health.  Furthermore, even worse than paleo boredom is being
a paleo bore, and in my more purist days I'm afraid I crossed that line too.

My meals at home tend to be simple and paleo, but last week at a
restaurant I had a lovely mustard-crusted salmon fillet with -- gasp --
bread crumbs!  And not too long ago I visited a good friend who made a
nice batch of chili with -- shhhhh -- some beans in it.  I even threw in
a nice dollop of sour cream!  I realize that not everyone will agree
with this approach, but I post it to support those who, like me, favor a
less rejectionist approach to paleo.

Todd