Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 06:02:03 -0500
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:25 [log in to unmask] wrote:

>I really miss my lamb which used to
>be a staple but is now quite pricey
>to indulge in on a regular basis.
>
>Leonie

Leonie.  I'm in Canberra and there are three types of kangaroo meat
available here.  The commonest is from Macromeats in Adelaide

http://www.macromeats-gourmetgame.com.au/

They do some non-paleo products (chemicals and the usual sugar and salt
added), but they also do straight fillets and one of our staples - mince.
The mince is under $AU7 a kilogram.  Macromeats' kangaroos are Reds from
the north of South Australia.

There is another firm that packages their products in red and blue plastic
sachets (forget their name).  Their meat is from Eastern Greys and has a
slightly stronger flavour.  Excellent stuff, but twice the price of
Macro's.

Thirdly, there is our other staple - kangaroo trim - the bits and pieces
the other manufacturers have left over when they remove the prime fillets
and steaks from the carcass.  I buy trim frozen from either of the two
organic butchers in Canberra.  It works out to about $AU7.50kg.  It's
Eastern Grey as well and is - for flavour, versatility and value - our
favourite.

All these are about as Paleo as you can get: the kangaroos are living
almost exactly as they lived before Europeans invaded and stuffed up
Australia, so the omega balance is good, the flesh is lean etc.  See

http://www.aussiegamemeats.com.au

where they have useful information on the comparative stress levels of
game meat and farmed/slaughtered meat.

See also

http://www.kangaroo-industry.asn.au/products/prod_frame.htm

For some nutritional comparisons including SFA:MUFA:PUFA ratios.

Australians interested in Paleo foods are about the luckiest folks around
to have ready access to this extraordinarily good product at a very low
price.  We have kangaroo most days, sometimes for all three meals.

Keith