Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 16:52:37 -0700
>Dori, I am a vegetarian.

It's hard to be a member of this list and NOT know you're a vegetarian.

>Where's *your* though question?

First off, you seem a little pissed.  That or in the mood to degrade.  Look
back at my original post and you'll see I've already raised legitimate
questions about putting an infant on a vegetarian diet.  So don't try and
paint me as an idiot or someone who knows squat doodle just because I find
vegetarianism unhealthy, especially for infants, and you don't.  Second, I
currently write, produce and anchor newscasts -- I am not a reporter per se,
although I have been.  Asking questions, tough or otherwise, are not a job
duty at this time.  BTW, don't even think of critiquing this.  It's a
legitimate position.

Any print journalist worth his or her salt looks at both sides of an issue.
Every story I have viewed or read on low-carb diets, including the Paleo
diet (rarely addressed, FYI), include a quote or citation from the other
side.  A prime example are quotes from low-fat proponents.  Others include
low-fat studies and various statistics (i.e increased fat and calorie
consumption over the last X years).

That said, has anyone ever seen a study on the benefits of vegetarianism for
infants, toddlers and children at other stages of development?  I have not.
Even if there are such studies, legitimate questions remain.

"You chose vegetarianism as an adult; is it fair to force your personal
decision on a child?  Some might see that as a little too much too soon and
others find it very unhealthy, especially for infants.  How do you handle
such questions?"

"Are there any studies that support a vegetarian or vegan diet?"

"Does vegegarianism allow breast milk or do you recommend children eat
formula immediately?

"What about protein?  Little bodies, especially, need protein for
development.  Are children able to get enough protein on a vegetarian or
vegan diet?

"What are the best plant-protein sources?"

"Which do you find heathier, a vegetarian diet which includes eggs and
dairy, or vegan?  Isn't it tough for children and even adults to get enough
protein when only eating fruits, grains and vegetables?"

"X is a required micronutrient found naturally only in animal foods.  How do
you make sure you get enough of that?"  (Note: I cannot remember this
vitamin/mineral off the top of my head and don't have time to search my
files.  This question is addressed on PETA's web site, if interested.  Even
they admit it is required.)

"Now, for a lot of people vegetarianism only means no meat.  Is that enough
or should people also pay attention to what they DO eat?"

"Many people choose a vegetarian or vegan diet with animal rights in mind,
other people for the health benefits.  What ARE the health benefits?"

"Low-carb diets are very popular right now.  What about a low-carb
vegetarian diet?  It would be especially tough to eat a low-carb diet on a
vegan diet.  Any tips for people going the low-carb route or is that
unhealthy in and of itself?"

"Vegetarianism is quite new.  In fact, there is no documentation of
sustained vegetarianism in human history.  What about the long term?  Is it,
perhaps, too early to say this is really good for us?"

I have read many a story on the benefits a meat-free diet and never, NEVER
have I seen such a query.  Something along these lines has surely been asked
at some point, maybe several but, as I said, I have yet to see it.  Any
other health story I've seen includes "the other side."  Low-carb diets
(Paleo included) include quotes from a critic without fail.  I would say
that, for various reasons, it's politically incorrect to question the
vegetarian diet.  Which is a sad statement on many levels.

Did I ask enough questions?

Dori Zook
Denver, CO

Learn how to help protect your privacy and prevent fraud online at Tech
Hacks & Scams. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/techsafety.armx