ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Peggy Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 21:38:26 -0700
Okay, guys, here is my guide dog story.  When I was in college, I suddenly
decided that I really, really, really wanted a guide dog.  I've always been
an animal lover, and a guide dog sounded sooooo cool.  I used to daydream
about the day when I'd have a dog of my own.

One day I was reading the book of Isaiah.  I'd already gotten past the
"good" (in quotes) chapters, and was starting on Isaiah chapter 56.  It was
boring!  I finally stopped reading and told God so, in no uncertain
terms.  I said, "I want something that's relevant to me, like whether or
not to get a guide dog."  I started reading again at verse 10:  "Israel's
watchmen are blind, they all lack knowledge;  they are all mute dogs, they
cannot bark;  they lie around and dream, they love to sleep.  (11)  They
are dogs with mighty appetites;  they never have enough."  I stopped
reading, right in the middle of verse 11, and marveled at the coincidence
(what coincidende?) that I was reading about dogs when I'd been wondering
about guide dogs.  Figuring it still might be a coincidence, but figuring I
might as well use it as a springboard for prayer, I said, "Well, Lord, I
don't know about the dogs being dumb.  I've heard German shepherds are very
intelligent."  Then I started reading, right where I'd left off, in the
middle of Isaiah 56, verse 11:  "They are shepherds who lack
understanding;  they all turn to their own way, each seeks his own
gain."  Now I don't think God was giving an opinion on guide dogs in
general.  But He, knowing I was bored with what I was reading, and knowing
that a guide dog wouldn't be right for me (despite my great love for
animals), used the passage I was reading as a humorous way of telling me
so.  So no one can tell me that God doesn't have a sense of humor.  <lol>

Peggy

mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~kernsac
MSN Messenger [log in to unmask]