Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 12:11:06 -0700

About three for four times a year, my local grocers offer chicken hind
quarters at such a low price, they are practically giving them away.  I
often get 10# bags for as little as 49 cents a pound.  They are good
baked, but my husband doesn't like dark meat & during the hot summer
months I like something different.  Here's something I invented the other
day.  It was a big hit with my whole family, even my hubby.

6 chicken hindquarters
2 cans Contadina tomato sauce
chili powder (one or two heaping tablespoons)
salt

Jumbo taco shells (I like Diane's)
lettuce, chopped
fresh tomatoes, chopped
grated cheddar or jack

Cook chicken in crock pot with tomato sauce, salt & chili powder on low
for about 8 hours or high for 4 hours.  Gently left out chicken pieces to
large platter.  With tongs, remove skin, bones & joint cartiledge.
Boning hind quarters is easier than a whole chicken because there are
only a few large bones to remove.

Put chicken meat in an appropriate sized dish & add enough of the cooking
liquid to almost cover the meat.  You may want to break apart the larger
pieces of meat with a fork.

Heat taco shells in 350 oven for 5 minutes.  Fill with meat, lettuce,
tomatoes.  Top w/ cheese.  Season with your favorite taco sauce.  Serve
with refried beans.  (I like Old El Paso Traditional.)

(Please don't ask me what brand of taco sauce or cheese, I use.  I don't
use either; only my family does.  Also, you'll have to locate GF taco
shells in your own area.)

Valerie in Tacoma

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!