From:
Olive Kaiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Olive Kaiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 22:17:32 -0700

Hi folks,

I apologize for posting this summary so late.  I had inquired if anyone was albino, or had information regarding alibinos and gluten intolerance symptoms.  We have heard that staistically albinos have a higher incidence of digestive problems and infertility.  (Not always infertile, mind you!  My husband is a blue eyed albino, which is common, and we had 7 children in 10 years!).  My husband also has multiple gluten intolerance symptoms and the history and the DQ2 and 8 genes to match.

The summary is very short.  We thank everyone who responded with sympathy and comments regarding our family history.  I particularly appreciated the humor and advice to make sure my husband's life insurance is paid up!  (Explanation -- I have super cleaned our kitchen and the house is officially gluten free, but he is still eating his wheat muffins or whatever when he goes to work or is out, thus encouraging our 3 symptomatic sons who are still home to follow suit.  I hope that if I don't get negative about this "abominable" practice, he will eventually make the transition on his own.  When he suffers from his noisy and painful abdominal distress/headaches, fatigue, etc., it's not hard to sweetly say "I'm sorry you feel so miserable.  Why don't you take an aspirin.")

There were no responses regarding albinoism, which could mean several things.  Maybe there's no genetic connection and the gastro/infertility problems albinos experience are coincidental.  Or perhaps there are so few albinos that they have their own forums, and are discussing these topics within their own community.  I will go over to the NOAH websites and find out when I have a moment to devote to researching this further.

Albinoism requires the presence of a recessive gene from both parents.  The gene is not necessarily passed on, so this condition is extremely rare.  My husband has a sister who is not albino.

If I find anything that is relevant in my search, I will bring it back to this board.

Sincerely ,
Olive

Mrs. Olive Kaiser
Gluten Free Tools
www.geocities.com/glutenfreetools
877-456-7704
8778886033 fax

Disclaimer --- I am a volunteer and not a medical expert, but I can
share with you information that I have found helpful.  Please contact
a well informed medical professional for medical advice regarding your situation.
Please verify the gluten free status of products often for your own protection.