From:
Jen and Duane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jen and Duane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 07:51:02 -0500

here are the responses I received when I questioned weather I needed to always check with the manufacturer when modified food starch was listed as an ingredient..

When it doubt, leave it out!" is the rule. 95% of the modified starch may be from corn or tapioca, but that still leaves 5%, which will make you sick. Unfortunately, you have to leave all out because of that 5% unless you can figure out which is which. Not everyone gets obvious symptoms from hidden gluten, just damage.

When the labeling bill goes into effect, it will be much easier since that 5% will require labeling and the 95% that remains unlabeled will be g.f. Choices are three--omit, contact manufacturer, or use a list from someone else who has contacted the manufacturer--- http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start or www.gfcfdiet.com for a milk-free and g.f. list

Modified food starch is as likely to be made from wheat as corn in Australia.

The way I hear it, you have to check out any modified food starch as it isn't always corn. On many labels in the store, it will say wheat starch, so always just check it out, never take it for granted. : - )

Rarely is it from wheat but you must always check. Period

Modified food starch in the US of A is derived from corn

Well, and that's correct. In goods made in the US, modified food starch
is rarely made from a wheat base. But 1) rarely doesn't mean never, and
2) we get a lot of imported food, in which the modified starch may or may
not be from wheat. So, it's advisable to check when possible.

If it's anything other than corn, the source has to be named. Some
companies list all grains including corn. Susan, OH
personally prefer to check the source of the starch or avoid the product.
I don't like my reactions.

99% of the time in the US, modified food starch comes from corn (this is because corn is cheapest). You should check because the item you're considering could fall into the 1% and you just want to be on the safe side.

By the way, outside the US, modified food starch is more likely to be from another grain source, so be sure to look at where the item was manufactured.

Every company I've called (so far) in the U.S. has said they use corn
starch, not wheat. With modified food start they can corn or another type of
starch. What the nutritionist at the Celiac Disease Center told me is that
if it says food starch it's from corn but if it says "modified" food starch
they do not have to guarantee it is from corn.

Seems like it gives the manufacturer flexibility to change ingredients
without having to redo the label and my belief is that starches could be
commodity price driven. Say the price of corn starch was sky high and became
too expensive to use then manufactures could switch to wheat or potato very
easily.

I believe the new food labeling bill will help with this issue. If it was
from wheat they would have to label it and we don't have to make as many
calls :)
in the u.s. modified food starch is rarely from wheat"

The term "rarely" means that it is still "possible" to be made from wheat.

In today's USA crop market, MFS is corn

it can be from wheat or corn and unfortuatly you should always check. With the new labeling bill that passed they will have to say. yippee.
whole foods has a great online dictionary thign where i tend to look up terms when I am unsure about them. I dont know that it is rarely from wheat, I find a lot of times its the one ingredient that keeps food we want to buy from being safe. :(

it can be corn or wheat and I verify with the
company unless i know for sure the source.

Modified food starch can be from corn or wheat. You have to call the manufacturer